Monday 26 March 2007

Ian Thorpe: I'm Not Gay

In his most revealing interview ever, the notoriously private Ian Thorpe has finally opened up about his personal life and the constant speculation over his sexuality.

Speaking to the Australian Good Weekend magazine, Thorpe today revealed why the talk originally started. “I became a gay icon when I was 15,” he said, “which was a little bit weird. When I was 17, everyone had started that speculation about me, though I didn’t hear about most of it.”

“I don’t have a problem with being a gay icon,” he continued, “it’s not a big deal to me. But I think the gay speculation, along with when I was accused of taking drugs in 2000, was an attempt to pull me down from the top.

Some people think it’s an insult to say, ‘Oh I think he’s gay’, but I don’t take it that way. I’m not gay. I’m lucky that within myself I don’t care enough to get worried or upset over it.”
The Good Weekend journalist, Janet Hawley, put the million dollar question to Thorpie: if he were gay, would he be comfortable coming out and saying so?

“I have no idea, because I’m not gay,” he responded. “I don’t think anyone should have to be asked that question. You don’t have to come out and declare you’re straight. It shouldn’t be a big deal today, but people still get hang-ups over it.”

The main reason most people have labelled Thorpe as gay are his not-so-typical traits, from designing pearl necklaces to taking care of his appearance. But that’s nothing, says Thorpe.

“Guys are just guys, girls are just girls, all of us are different. Some guys are more in touch with their feminine side, interested in design and quirky things, some are blokey blokes.”

And there you have it, straight from the swimmer’s mouth: Ian Thorpe is not gay, ok?

.........right and pigs can fly.

No comments: