Saturday 16 June 2007

Gay cops rally against discrimination

Police officers pledge "to serve and protect" not just the community but their coworkers as well. Yet LGBT officers have found that not everyone adheres to this oath, reports The Providence [R.I.] Journal .

Problems include fellow officers who would ignore gay officers' calls for backup, who refused to ride with them in the same patrol car, who slandered them at headquarters, and who neglected to consider them for promotion.
[Source]

As I produce this story I am chatting to one of my closest gay friends a Police Officer in the Counter Terrorism Unit.

He tells me stories that match those listed above and more, especially about promotion opportunities and why he doesn't pursue advancement.

It is a disgrace that because of whom I lie in bed with at night that this should jeopardise my advancement in any organisation let alone a government one.

No comments: