Wednesday 10 October 2007

My first week

Now that I have settled into my 3rd Fire Service I thought I would share some of my first week experiences.

On day one around 12noon I was outed .. I was told a rumour was spreading that my partner was a guy. Asked if this was true, and promising myself that my move to Sydney was not going to be backward I replied yes.

As an exchange firefighter with 6 years experience I know how quickly rumors travel, so I took it upon myself to tell some of the others during the day.

It took less then 5 hours for me to come out in Sydney, while it took about 4 years in Adelaide.

By the end of my second tour everyone on my platoon (shift) knew. In an occupation where gays are traditionally not seen or heard I was not going to be another gay boy in the closet.

This is the best thing I have done, and I love it, bring on next years Mardi Gras parade as I will be carrying the gay flag in uniform in front of the fire truck proudly..

To the credit of the guys and gals they have accepted me well, I no longer have to hide my face when walking along Oxford Street every time a red truck drives past.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Having grown up around fire fighters since the age of seven, (and having lived with my fire fighter life mate of six years),I learned at an early age that not only are they some of the bravest people on Earth, but also the most loyal and accepting.

I admire your braver for coming out and your choice of occupation.
Stay safe.
Gregory

Unknown said...

Hi Nick,
Welcome to Sydney and a fantastic site you have here, Fireie's are a great bunch of people and are most very understanding, The crew at City of Sydney are a great bunch. I hope you enjoy your 12 months up here.
By your story you have worked 3 Fire Services, my guess they are SARFS, SAFD and now NSWFB.
All the best look forward to meeting up with you at work.
Another fellow fireie
Chris

Nick said...

Thanks guys for your very kind comments, Chris I prevously worked in the CFA in Victoria, & SAMFS in Adelaide. Say hello if you see me..