Saturday 3 November 2007

Diversity Conference for Emergency Services

I have just returned from a conference on Diversity in Emergency Services held in Melbourne, Australia, with guest speakers coming from the United States and the United Kingdom.

I must say the most enjoyable speech was by the Chief Commissioner of the Victorian Police Force -Christine Nixon, her life experiences within the service were both tragic and yet inspiring.

Most of the topics were based around the the importance of increasing the number of females in the fire services around the world.

Disappointingly the importance of glbt community was hardly discussed during the 3 day conference.

Sadly many of the glbt remain in the closet so they "fit in" the male dominated macho environment that the fire service is.

Don't we all have the right in the workplace to be ourselves..I ask you?

The best decision I made when I arrived to Sydney for my exchange was to be out and honest from day one.

No comments: